Wednesday, February 23, 2011

DC Reflection

When I first began this expansive project on climate change, I did not think it would have that much impact on my life. I just assumed it would be great to have an all-expense paid trip to DC, and neat to make a video. After it was all said and done, however, I got so much more out of the experience. I learned more, I think, in my week in DC than a normal week in school. Firstly, I discovered that people around the nation and globe are combating climate change on all fronts. Students in Alaska are educating the public about Ocean Acidification while students in California are building a zero-emission car to make a statement to car companies. Similar projects are going on around the nation, because youth care about this issue. That brings me to the second thing I learned—that the youth of today see the issues around them, and they want to be the ones who change it. We as teenagers are just looking for outlets to make a positive action on the world. I think if there were more positive outlets worldwide than negative, teen delinquency would improve greatly. That is why projects such as Coastal America make such an impact, because they reach out to people in all communities, cities, and towns around the nation. Thirdly, I met some great new friends. Meeting people from Alaska, Hawaii, California, Washington, Georgia, Florida, and many other states is a really neat experience. We all had one common goal, and I think we achieved that goal to the best of our abilities. I liked how one fellow delegate put it: “We do not need the help of Congress, but we want the help of Congress. We are already active citizens in our communities, and we will continue our proactive actions with or without your help.” Finally, I saw first-hand many of the mechanisms and functions of Congress. The old saying “It’ll take an act of Congress…” has new meaning to me now, as I met Representatives who are trying to look out for their constituent’s interests while meeting party requirements. Overall, at the end of my trip I was sad to leave my new friends, but I know that everything I took away from this experience will stay with me for a lifetime.

Evan Lucas

No comments:

Post a Comment